The Rise of the Decorator

The Rise of the Decorator took place around the World's Fair in Paris in the 1920s. There were Interior Decorators before this but it wasn't until this time that they started to gain more popularity. There were two main types of contributors to the World Fair, Functionalists and Decorators. Decorators focused on the putting together of the interior, making decisions based on aesthetics and atmosphere of the space. The rise of decorators was mainly because of all of the different styles that had been appearing. For example, Arts and Crafts, Art Nouveau, and Victorian styles all came to popularity around the same time period. Because of all of these different styles there was a need for decorators to furnish interiors based on the style of the building. 



While the rise came about through the desires of the wealthier class, it didn't stay that way. As time went on people started to see the benefits of having an interior decorator help with the space. Interior decorators were starting to be seen as a profession to more than just the wealthy but also to the middle class. It was becoming more accessible for everyone and thus more appreciated by all. 



One Step Further:

Billy Baldwin was an Interior Decorator during the mid 1900s. While he had no complete formal education he was a key decorator of his time. Not only is his style interesting but he also worked with both the middle and upper classes. He didn't like the intricate designs of the baroque and rococo periods but instead preferred simple, clean, and neat designs. Baldwin's focus was on comfort. He enjoyed using existing furniture in his designs, mixing the old with the new. This was to allow for the most comfort in a new setting. Clients want to feel comfortable in their new spaces but they also form attachments to older pieces of furniture. Keeping some older pieces allows for that familiarity but also allows for a newer design in the space. 


Baldwin also looked to the use of cotton fabrics and neutral colors. His designs were clean and crisp. He enjoyed using darker walls but was still conscious of the use of natural light within a space. This helped lighten the room and relieve some of the heaviness that a darker wall would bring into the room. I really enjoy his use of wood paneling in the spaces. Today, we generally see wood paneling as outdated or old fashioned but I think it can be a great way to bring character into a space. I love the use of wood in designs because it brings with it a warmth that can't really be found in other materials. Baldwin does a good job of using the paneling to bring that warmth into the rooms but by keeping it fairly simple, allows for the space to feel more open and less congested. 





Additional Information on Interior Decorators

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnPG-225X6s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGYf-Fzmo2s

Comments

  1. Kelly,
    Overall I think you did a great job explaining the Rise of the decorators. I liked your step further diving deeper into Billy Baldwin. I can definitely agree that wood in designs brings a warmth to the space different than any other material. I like how Baldwin incorporates it into many of his designs, it is very well balanced and compliments the other materials.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly,
    This was a great summary of Rise of the Decorators. I think it was interesting how you focused on Billy Baldwin and discussed his simplicity in his designs, but how they made an impact on how we do interior design today. We always talk about the balance in interior design, and I think you choice about Billy Baldwin was a great choice to research further. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly,
    Great summary of this period. I loved the videos you attached. the video about Elsie De Wolfe was meaningful to me showing how women had to promote themselves into the field of design.
    I also enjoyed the one on The Green Brier Hotel- I think that one needs to be a fieldtrip!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Modernism in America

Art Nouveau In The United States